using rsync with Win32/UNC pathnames?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo@wpkg.org
Tue Apr 1 12:35:00 GMT 2008

Eric Blake schrieb:

> According to Tomasz Chmielewski on 4/1/2008 6:15 AM:
> | In Windows, path can have only up to 260 characters.
>
> In Windows, the ASCII functions can only handle up to 260 characters.  But
> the Unicode functions handle more.  You may be interested in trying a
> snapshot, where longer filenames are (mostly) supported,

Nope, they are not supported in snapshots; drive snapshots are nothing
different than a normal drive (I assume you're talking about VSS /
shadow copy snapshots for the whole drive, i.e. snapshot C:, it appears
as read-only V:?).

> and in
> particular, your use case of rsync with names longer than 260 characters
> should work using POSIX-style paths.

Like /cygdrive/v/some/longish/path/...?

Nope, it doesn't work, rsync skips these files and says "skipping overly
long name". So "Cygwin-expanded" paths have Win32-limitations; not UNC
ones, where longer names are allowed.

BTW, what a mess is Windows: several incompatible ways of specifying
paths etc.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org