using rsync with Win32/UNC pathnames?

James Abley james.abley@gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:26:00 GMT 2008

On 01/04/2008, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@wpkg.org> wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
>
> > On Apr  1 06:43, Eric Blake wrote:
>  >>
>  >
>  > That's right, but.
>  >
>  > <generic advice>
>  > The problem is that long path names are supported by the snapshot Cygwin
>  > DLLs, but not necessarily by the applications using it.  Since the
>  > applications in the Cygwin net distro are still compiled under Cygwin
>  > 1.5.x, there's some (hopefully low) probability that applications are
>  > using static buffers of size PATH_MAX, which is defined as 260 in 1.5.x.
>  > So, right now, there's no guarantee that applications will be able to
>  > deal with long path names, unless they have been compiled under a Cygwin
>  > snapshot with all new header files installed.
>  > </generic advice>
>

> I see.
>  Probably a reason why it fails for me.

I've just tried the current snapshot and most (all?) of my problems
with long path names have gone away, whereas the main release was
failing at the start of the month.

Previously:

2008/03/07 20:47:05 [13024] rsync: readlink
"/AppData/Local/Application Data/Application Data/Application
Data/Application Data/Application Data/Application Data/Application
Data/A
pplication Data/Application Data/Application
Data/Adobe/Acrobat/8.0/Cache/Search80/08695a9e61055471bbeac6c64c29faa3.idx"
(in jabley) failed: File name too long (91)

But using the current snapshot, rsync (2.6.9) has been fine with the
long path names. There are some issues (hey, it's a snapshot!) which
I'll report separately, but I'm pretty happy!

Cheers,

James