How do I run sshd as a particular user?

Alfred von Campe alfred@von-campe.com
Wed Apr 2 17:56:00 GMT 2008

On Apr 2, 2008, at 9:27, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Did you try anything besides switching the user?  For instance:
>
> - Did you check the event log?

Yes, did not find anything useful.

> - Did you check /var/run/sshd.log?  If it's empty it's probably
> because
>   the domain user has no write permission.

No, I did not.

> - Does the domain user have an entry in the local /etc/passwd?  sshd
>   needs that when checking file ownership.  And it allows to
> specify the
>   user to cygrunsrv without the "domain\win_username" syntax.

Well, there is an entry for a user of the same name.  Is that enough
or is there a way to specify the fact that it's a domain user?

> - Did you chown /etc/ssh* and /var/empty to the domain user when
> trying
>   to start the service under that account?  That's a must have.

No, I did not know about this either.  I will try these suggestions
as soon as I get a chance, but that might not be until I return to
the office next week.  A quick question, though.  Instead of making
all these changes, is there a better way to (re-)install Cygwin sshd
so that it is properly set up for a domain user?

Alfred