portmap service won't start

EnergizeMe Aimee.Winn@fpl.com
Thu Apr 3 19:37:00 GMT 2008

I have a Windows 2003 std server that I have installs cygwin on. I ran the
nfs-server-config script and installed the nfsd, portmap, and mountd
services. I have installed them with a local admin account and as a domain
admin account, but the portmap service will not start. I get this error from
the services. mmc:

"The cygwin portmap service on local computer started and then stopped. Some
services stop automatically ifif they have no work to do."

When I try to start the service from cygwin.bat, it says:

The cygwin portmap service is starting.
The cygwin portmap service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

Obviously the cygwin nfsd and cygwin mountd services won't start without the
portmap service since they depend on that one. The cygwin sshd service is
started and working normally. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I've
uninstalled the services and re-installed them, but nothing is working.
Please help!