A FAQ regarding defrag and permissions of nonadmin files?

Gmane User fma@doe.carleton.ca
Tue Apr 8 15:55:00 GMT 2008

Brian Dessent wrote:
 > Okay, so JkDefrag's boot time defrag does not appear to be a real
 > boot-time (offline) defrag.  Anything dealing with the task
 > scheduler is way too late in the game, Win32 is already running at
 > that point.

I wonder why anyone want to do that under a permissions-limited
account.

 > I doubt that the boot-time defrag generates a report.  It's not
 > intended to be a full service defrag, it's only for system files
 > that are normally locked (offline defragmentation.)  When you
 > schedule the boot time defrag you have to specifically include a
 > list of patterns and the default only includes things like the hives
 > and pagefile.

       <...snip...>

 > I'm not sure what you mean by "no progress indicators", as every
 > time I've used it (and any other offline defrag for that matter,
 > such as Sysinternals' pagedfrg), it displays some text saying what
 > it's about to do, with a 3 second opportunity to press a key to
 > abort, followed by textual percent meters of analysis and defrag
 > stages, just like CHKDSK.

I must have missed that 3 seconds.  But at the bottom, there is a line
of dashes that never changed for the duration of the activity.  I
believe it was prefixed with a label having to do with "analysis".  I
am trying again with specificatin of "*" in the file inclusion list.

About the log file, you're right.  You need another "analyze" after
normal boot.  It generates c:/FRAGLIST.HTM, which can be saved as
text.  Turning off the switch to produce HTML doesn't generate a text
file, so I guess it's HTML or nothing.

Fingers crossed with "*" in the file inclusion list.