Question on gdb and ?? And also Frame did not save PC message

Brian Keener bkeener@thesoftwaresource.com
Tue Apr 8 23:56:00 GMT 2008

Brian Dessent wrote:
> thinking that somehow there's a segmentation fault in pthreads code when
> there isn't.  If you're going to enable the option then you need to
> "continue" past those non-faults.
Brian,

Thanks for clarifying that.  I was doing that for two reasons - the first
is because I misunderstood the post I originally found that in.  Somehow I
got the idea that the exceptions I needed to see were not getting through
and this would help me debug the program and then I discovered earlier
today exactly what you said - I can continue and keep going around the
SIGSEGV at which point the program appears to be terminated by gdb when it
completes.  I see now that as you say - setting cygwin-exceptions was not
needed.  Without it I get the below which helps me some I think - in that
it confirms the application is waiting on something to complete which
doesn't and gdb terminates it. But now there is no stack because of
termination - got to go to breakpoints now.

As to the second part of my question - is there a way to determine what
sources/debug info I still need to get around the ?? Or is that just a
matter of tracing from the sources I can see to find what it is bing
called next?

Also when using the new gdb is the message about
"Frame did not save PC message" expected or is that an indication of some
limit exceeded or something else.

Thanks again

bk

BrianK@atl-lt-5783 /usr/local/bin/osgPlugins-2.3.7
$ gdb osgconvd
GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060706-cvs (cygwin-special)
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
(gdb) set args cow.osg brian.osg
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/osgconvd.exe cow.osg brian.osg
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/kernel32.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/bin/cygosgDBd-2.3.7.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/bin/cygOpenThreadsd-2.2.1.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/advapi32.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/rpcrt4.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/secur32.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/bin/cygosgd-2.3.7.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/glu32.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/msvcrt.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/opengl32.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/gdi32.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/user32.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ddraw.dll
Loaded symbols for /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/dciman32.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/bin/cygosgUtild-2.3.7.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/bin/cygosgViewerd-2.3.7.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/bin/cygosgGAd-2.3.7.dll
Loaded symbols for /usr/local/bin/cygosgTextd-2.3.7.dll
Data written to 'brian.osg'.
73718546 [main] osgconvd 5648 sig_send: wait for sig_complete event
failed, sign
al 6, rc 258, Win32 error 0

Program exited with code 03000.
(gdb) thread apply all bt