gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125) Internal compiler error

Cory Cohen cfcohen@verizon.net
Tue Apr 15 06:28:00 GMT 2008

Hello,

While compiling some code with g++ on cygwin, I encountered an internal
compiler error, which I was eventually able to narrow down to this:

$ g++ -c
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/bits/locale_classes.h
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/bits/locale_classes.h:43:13:
warning: #pragma system_header ignored outside include file
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-mingw32/3.4.4/include/c++/bits/locale_classes.h:597:
internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://cygwin.com/problems.html> for instructions.

The error also occurs for a number of upstream includes like
<iterator>.  I was able to track it as far as local_classes.h and then
it became rather difficult, since changing nearly anything caused the
error to disappear (with a successful compile).

The error is occasionally intermittent, in that I can sometimes issue
the same command over and over and get different results (successful or
an internal error) on each invocation.  The command provided above
appears to fail 100% of the time on my system, but there's no assurance
it won't be intermittent in another environment, so give it several
attempts.

I've got what I suspect may be a rather uncommon environment...  64-bit
Vista running cygwin, but things generally seem to work just fine, and
I've not done anything unusual to customize it.

I've included the g++ -v output below, and attached two versions of the
cygcheck command output for the cygwin folks.  The second one is because
"cygcheck -r" fails with some kind of an infinite recursion problem
(which you can see starting near the end of the output).

$ g++ -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/specs
Configured with:
/usr/build/package/orig/test.respin/gcc-3.4.4-3/configure --verbose
--prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--enable-languages=c,ada,c++,d,f77,pascal,java,objc --enable-nls
--without-included-gettext --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
--without-x --enable-libgcj --disable-java-awt --with-system-zlib
--enable-interpreter --disable-libgcj-debug --enable-threads=posix
--enable-java-gc=boehm --disable-win32-registry --enable-sjlj-exceptions
--enable-hash-synchronization --enable-libstdcxx-debug
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

Finally, I've included the local_classes.ii output from --save-temps in
case my "standard" includes aren't really standard for some strange reason.

If there's anything else I can do to help, please let me know.

Cory Cohen