Subversion problems with "svn switch", "svn co", "svn switch", because of 'wrong' permissions in .svn/ directories

Spiro Trikaliotis an-cygwin@spiro.trikaliotis.net
Sat Apr 26 18:02:00 GMT 2008

Hello Bernard,

* On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 01:08:16AM +0800 Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:35:51AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

> >   Ah, this problem happens sometimes: the anti-virus on-access scanner keeps a
> > handle open to the file a bit too long, interfering with normal operations
> > that require unshared access.
>
> I gather that this issue has been brought up several times over the
> last few years already but nothing has been done about it other than
> to say "disable your virus checker/indexing service".

Oh... Had this issue been brought up for SVN, or in general? Before I
posted, I had checked on this mailing list (and others), but I could not
find it being reported before.

> Why doesn't the Cygwin SVN build simply just #define WIN32 (or
> whatever it takes) so the code which is _already in SVN_ to work
> around this problem is actually used to fix the issue? I have not
> seen anyone give a reason as to why this shouldn't be done. (If
> there is, please feel free to flame me :)

As we have seen from other responses, there are some reasons why this is
not done.

Anyway, this reminds me of another problem: Personally, I install Cygwin
with DOS line endings (CR/LF). That's the reason why I have built
CVS.EXE myself some moons ago ;), as the pre-built version did not like
this setup. (IIRC, the outputs were garbled in many places. At the time
when I tested it, it was a known issue on the info-cvs mailing list.) At
least CVS checks out the text files in the "native" format of the
platform - as I am using Cygwin with CR/LF, this is the CR/LF format.

Unfortunately, with SVN from Cygwin, this is not true anymore. For the
Cygwin version of SVN, the "native" format for text files uses Unix line
endings (LF) only.

As there a way to get it fixed? Or is it again something for upstream?

Best regards,
   Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/