Does anyone use insight on cygwin?

Tue Aug 5 02:20:00 GMT 2008

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Does anyone actually use insight on Cygwin?  Keith Seitz, the insight
> maintainer, has recently made changes which will allow insight to work
> with a non-special version of tcl/tk rather than the hacked version that
> it had previously been built with.  That opens the door to building a
> real version of tcl/tk for cygwin and linking insight to it.
> Unfortunately, I believe that would mean that insight would need to run
> in an X window rather than natively.
>
> The other alternative is to nuke insight entirely.  Is anyone really
> relying on it?  Since I barely test it when I release gdb, I'd expect
> that there would be problem reports but I don't remember seeing any for
> quite some time.
>
> Oh, and in case anyone is wondering what insight is - it's the graphic
> version of gdb available by typing "insight" or "gdb -w".
>
> If you're wondering what gdb is then please just delete this message.
> Nothing to see here.

I don't have much to add other than to say I've used insight and will
continue to do so.  I also could "deal" with it if insight became X
dependent, though I share the concerns about that and the state of the
X server on Cygwin.  Still, it sounds like there's some hope for
improvements here so I think having an X-based insight over no insight
would be the lesser of two evils. :-)  Also ditto about splitting out
the package if we're going that route.  Perhaps the non-X gdb could have
an insight and gdb -w that tells the user to install the X gdb package
(a la Ubuntu)?

Holliston, MA 01746