Does anyone use insight on cygwin?

Danilo Turina danilo.turina@alcatel-lucent.it
Thu Aug 7 15:27:00 GMT 2008

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug  7 12:45, Danilo Turina wrote:
>> Charles Wilson wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I could certainly see splitting the distribution into two packages. This
>>> means that 'gdb -w' would fail in strange and wonderful ways if the
>>> "insight" package with all of its tcl scripts were not installed,
>>> but...maybe that's okay.
>> This already happened in the past (for Vim):
>>
>> $ vim -g
>> E25: GUI cannot be used: Not enabled at compile time
>>
>> $ gvim
>>
>> and nobody seems to complain about it.
>
> vim is the non-GUI version and built independently from gvim.  That's
> why -g isn't available.

I know (I must be more verbose on my e-mail and/or improve my
communication skills).

I was only saying that:

	1) in the past, two different packages (vim e gvim) have been
introduced, respectively for the textual and the graphical versions on vim;

	2) because of 1) "vim -g" gives an error (for which nobody complains,
since if one wants the X version, he simply installs and run gvim (and
this is absolutely right));

	3) I imagine that error given by "vim -g" is similar to the error, a
gdb non depending from X would give in invoked with the "-w" option
("gdb -w");

	4) this similarity makes me think that having two different packages
one for the textual gdb (obviously non depending from X) and one for the
graphical insight (depending from a Tcl/Tk that in turns depend from X)
would be a good idea: it worked in the past for the users of Cygwin.

Ciao,
		Danilo Turina

--
Danilo Turina
Alcatel-Lucent

6 anni 9 mesi 7 giorni 5 ore 53 minuti 24 secondi