Fresh install of Cygwin, not working

Thu Aug 7 19:04:00 GMT 2008

Oliver Jones wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why the latest version of Cygwin will not work?
>
> I have downloaded the complete version from my local mirror, which is on the
> mirrors list. When I install, I do not get the X Server icon, or any of the
> X applications that normally appear, on my desktop (fresh Windows XP
> install).
>
> Nor does the Cygwin.bat shortcut, placed on my desktop after the install,
> work. When running from the Windows cmd shell, it reports "Bad command -
> bash".
>
> I've tried to download from other mirrors, often with the same result. It
> seems that if I want to actually *use* Cygwin, I'll have to see if I can dig
> up a version I saved on CD-ROM, because none of the mirrors work anymore.
>
> Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Clearly, this is not a wide-spread issue, otherwise you'd see the list
swamped by complaints like this.

My suggestion is to read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found
here - <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  This will give folks on this list
that wish to help some basic information on which to start a meaningful
dialog.  Absent that, my WAG is that your postinstall scripts didn't run
for some reason.  Check '/etc/postinstall' to see if there are any scripts
that don't have a ".done" suffix.  If there are, you can try rerunning
'setup.exe' again.  It should run the remaining postinstall scripts.  If
that doesn't help or isn't the obvious issue, a look at /var/log/setup.log*
may provide some insight (if the postinstall scripts failed), assuming you
haven't rerun 'setup.exe' again since the initial install failure.

Holliston, MA 01746