End of support for 9x

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Wed Aug 27 00:40:00 GMT 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 05:55:18PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> It has been discussed and decided on cygwin-developers in this thread
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2007-02/msg00000.html
>>> [...]
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2007-02/msg00054.html ff.
>>>
>>> I don't see the overhead for sourceware and you given that sourceware
>>> has enough disk space and nothing new will occur in the 1.5.25 based
>>> distro.  Setup.exe will choose the distro based on the OS of the client
>>> machine and setup.ini for the 1.5.25 distro does not have to be
>>> regenerated anymore.  As usual, we will have to live with a certain
>>> amount of confusion anyway.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong, probably it isn't such a bad idea to put the 1.5.25
>> distro to an external site at one point.  But I think we should keep the
>> 1.5.25 distro on sourceware at least for some time until we're confident
>> that 1.7.x is so stable that nobody actually needs a fallback.
>
> That sounds right to me.  Apparently my thinking on this issue has
> "evolved" (which is why I could never be a politician).  I've seen so
> many issues between 1.5.x and 1.7.x that I think the faster we can move
> to 1.7.x once it's switched over the better.
>
> However, IMO, you're right.  It would be naive to think that 1.7.x would
> be problem free and forcing people to go elsewhere for a copy of Cygwin
> that works would not be a good idea.
>
> If Jason is willing to start mirroring the 1.5.25 repository as soon as
> we start the cut-over to 1.7.x then maybe eventually we can
> transparently pull the plug.

I would like to offer that the Cygwin Time machine does currently
mirror/archive all of 1.5 and 1.7, and will continue to do so
indefinitely.  It wouldn't take much for me to setup an alt Cygwin site
for 1.5 support.  Again, I offer this knowing full well what's involved.

Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>