How do I set the default path?

Thu Dec 4 20:37:00 GMT 2008

walterbyrd wrote:
> I am new to cygwin. I am running cygwin on XP.
>
> When I start cygwin, I am put into the /usr/bin directory. I can not run
> anything, even ls, without putting a ./ in front of it.
>
> I am using this XP box at work. I am able to directly change my windows
> path.
>
> Is there a way for me to setup cygwin so that I can run commands in the
> /usr/bin directory, with the ./ ?

Add "." to your path but that opens up a big security risk.  As for
'/usr/bin', in a proper install, that should be in your path already.
My WAG is that you're installation didn't finish.  Try rerunning
'setup.exe' and just "Next"ing through the pages and see if that helps.
If not, send your 'cygcheck' output as explained here
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

Holliston, MA 01746