Setup.exe (v2.609) Primary Group Problem

Matt Rice citrusmoose@hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 20:17:00 GMT 2008

Karl M wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:10:11 -0500
>> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>> Subject: Re: Setup.exe (v2.609) Primary Group Problem

>>> I don't understand why a later chgrp doesn't provide what you need.
>>>

>>> Corinna
>>>
>> That's what I'm doing now, but that means I have to chgrp every time packages
>> are installed or updated. One package isn't really a problem, but doing this
>> for many packages is. I have to know all file paths associated with every
>> installed/updated package and chgrp( -R) on all of them (which can be time
>> consuming). Even using -R sometimes won't do because some subdirectories'
>> groups would need to remain.
>>
>> Would adding cmd line arguments for user/group to setup.exe be possible?
>>
>> - Matt
>
> I have used a script like the attached for years, after each time I run setup.
> The extra x permissions do no harm and save a lot of work.
>
> ...Karl

Yes, writing a script for this would probably be my next move if there isn't an
easier option.  I have a lot of specially permissioned files which is why I'm
reluctant to do one now.  Although the script wouldn't be difficult, keeping
track of those special files would be a pain (especially for all the ones
somewhere under /usr).  Thanks for providing a template though.

- Matt