FAQ on installing a build from source ?

fred zfred@bigpond.com
Sat Dec 20 04:58:00 GMT 2008

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> fred wrote:
>> I assume  $make install
>>
>> ok? but something gone wrong,
>> so manually what is supposed to get copied where ?
>>
>> dir \i686-pc-cygwin\winsup\cygwin
>> has a cygwin0.dll,
>>
>> I thought there is supposed to be a cygwin1.dll.................
>>
>> I thought surely there is a FAQ on this ? haven;t found it though
>
> So you missed this
>
> <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin>
>
> from here
>
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>
> ?
>
> My WAG is that you're building in the source directory which, as the FAQ
> says, is a no-no.

ok thanks, but what your saying is that still up to date ?
I mean configure generated a subdirectory .\i686-pc-cygwin, and make put
all the object files and build under that

and whats the cygwin0.dll ???

oh, i've now noticed a file   winsup\cygwin\new-cygwin1.dll,

I GUESS this should be copied to /bin/cygwin1.dll.

too much guesswork.......

though my make check isn't successfull,

Huh?  No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin?
Using de
fault root and cygdrive prefix...
cc1: ../../.././winsup/testsuite/libltp/lib/dataascii.c: No such file or
directo
ry
make: *** [dataascii.o] Error 1

my /etc doesn't have an fstab file,  shouldn't the cygwin setup have
done that?

admin@FRED4 ~/src/cygwin-snapshot-20081214-1/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite
$ mount
Huh?  No /etc/fstab file in \??\C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc\fstab.d\admin?
Using de
fault root and cygdrive prefix...
C:/cygwin/usr/local on / type unknown (binary)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount)