Rationale for line-ending recommendation?

Ralph Hempel rhempel@bmts.com
Mon Dec 22 19:25:00 GMT 2008

Linus Hicks wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> Yeah, right, if this were in fact the 21st century, why would we ever
>> have to deal with a 30 year old, idiotic-from-the-start text file format
>> using two line ending chars?
>
> How quickly we forget...

<snip>

Great summary! I worked with some of these older machines, and
have dropped a deck or two of cards in my time as well :-)

It's often too easy to say "That was a dumb decision" when you
don't have the benefit of history.

And that goes double for old guys that make clucking noises in
design meetings when they hear the same old bad design or product
plan choices made my newly hired managers that ignore their
input.

Cheers, Ralph