MinTTY

Thorsten Kampe thorsten@thorstenkampe.de
Wed Dec 31 14:25:00 GMT 2008

* Robert Pendell (Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:21:40 -0500)>
> Robert Pendell wrote:
> > It runs on 1.7 but does not appear to execute the shell as a login one.
> >  I use bash and .bash_profile never gets executed when using MinTTY
> > directly.  I can help you debug it if you wish.
>
> I stand corrected here.  I checked some more.  The batch script (which I
> forgot that I used the cygwin default one) runs bash automatically with
> '--login -i' appended to it.  I also found that you can run a command
> when mintty runs as the shell.  I modified cygwin.bat to execute mintty.
>  Looks like mintty doesn't detach completely on it's own so I appended
> 'start' to the beginning to it.  The program will continue to run but
> the black box will disappear.  If start doesn't work then use 'cygstart'
> instead as that one is supplied by cygwin.  Basically the last line of
> cygwin.bat was changed to show as...
>
> start mintty bash --login -i

If you don't want a Windows console terminal then running or modifying
the Cygwin batch file is completely pointless. Simply create a shortcut
as described in the Readme: "Create a shortcut to mintty.exe with the
working directory set to the Cygwin bin directory. The
create_shortcut.js script will do this for you.".

Thorsten