Mouting network drives from Cygwin ssh client

Wed Dec 31 16:15:00 GMT 2008

Jeenu V wrote:
> Thanks for the link.
>
> I removed the default CYGWIN sshd service and ran:
>
> cygrunsrv --install sshd --path /usr/sbin/sshd.exe --user jeevis01
> --args '-D' --env 'CYGWIN="ntsec"
>
> It asked for my password and installed successfully. However I
> couldn't start the service, and my /var/log/sshd.log was empty.
>
> Later I tried starting sshd manually:
> $ /usr/sbin/sshd.exe
> /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.
>
> $ ls -ld /var/empty/
> drwxr-xr-x+ 2 SYSTEM Administrators 0 Dec 30 16:57 /var/empty/
>
> $ chmod 700 /var/empty/
> $ ls -ld /var/empty/
> drwx------+ 2 SYSTEM Administrators 0 Dec 30 16:57 /var/empty/
>
> $ /usr/sbin/sshd.exe
> /var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.
>
> I think this is the reason why the server failed to start when I
> installed service in my name. Although I see many posts facing similar
> issues, problem gets solved after the chmod command. However, for me,
> it doesn't. Please help.

Yes, that is part of it.  Ownership/permissions of a collection of files
used by 'sshd' is highly scrutinized.  And, as you've found out, it's
not a one-step task to switch the service over from running as
SYSTEM (or 'sshd_server').  There are a number of files that get created
the first time 'sshd' runs (or when it's configured with
'/bin/ssh-host-config') that need to be adjusted if you change the user
that runs the service.  You can find the full list of files in
'/bin/ssh-host-config' but at least a partial list is:

   /etc/ssh*
   /var/empty
   /var/log/lastlog
   /var/log/sshd.log

Make sure these are all owned by the user that's now running 'sshd'.
That should help.  If not, take a look at '/bin/ssh-host-config' for
files I've missed.

Holliston, MA 01746