Running Cygwin in background.

Sun Feb 3 22:50:00 GMT 2008

jrtayloriv wrote:
> Thanks Larry, that really cleared up a lot for me. Sorry for the dumb
> questions, I'm still learning my way around windows, and some of the
> concepts are very foreign to me. I decided to reinstall cygwin, since I
> hadn't put any work into that install yet. I had one question regarding your
> last message, though.
>
> You said:
>
>> No, not at all.  I was referring to '/usr/bin/run' which hides the console
>> of console apps when run directly from the Windows Explorer, for example.
>> 'cygrunsrv' is similar to 'service' under Linux.  It allows you to start,
>> stop, install, and remove services, among other things.  'ssh-host-config'
>> uses it.
>
> OK then, so cygrunserv would be to run something in a manner similar to the
> services that I see in 'msconfig', whereas '/usr/bin/run' would just allow
> me to run cygwin applications from the windows "Run" dialog without having
> to run the Cygwin Bash shell. Is this correct, or did I miss something?

Close.  You can run Cygwin apps from the "Run" dialog so long as you have
the required Cygwin DLLs in your path.  But doing so would open a console
for the duration of the app.  Using '/usr/bin/run' to run the app would hide
that console.  Hiding this console can be desirable in the case of X apps,
for example.

Holliston, MA 01746