iconv vs. libiconv confusion

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Mon Feb 11 20:27:00 GMT 2008

2008/2/11, Dave Korn <dave.korn@artimi.com>:
>   Does anyone understand the difference between iconv_open and libiconv_open,
> and why the libiconv package supplies a header that declares only iconv_XXX
> and a library that defines only libiconv_XXXX?  I find this confusing, and so
> does ./configure and friends.

libiconv_xxx was used for a seperate and probably newer libiconv installed,
while iconv_xxx usually comes with glibc.
Is libiconv from me? I'll have to check these mistakes then.

clisp, where iconv is coming from, never used libiconv_*,
its iconv.m4 just tests for the main iconv_open, _close functions.

I mostly see these errors in php libs.
--
Reini