"tar --one-file-system" accesses remote file systems

Wed Feb 13 19:41:00 GMT 2008

Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:

> "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh> wrote in message
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.  We don't want to
be feeding the spammers around here.

>> Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
>>> This problem and a proposed solution was mentioned in an earlier
>>> e'mail (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1998-09/msg00839.html). Is
>>> there a known solution to this issue?
>> You can check recent (and not so recent) email archives on the subject.
>>

> I tried. The only discussion I found was the link above. If you can give
 > me a pointer to another thread, I'd appreciate it. I'll also try additional
> searches based on the information you gave below.
>
>> As I recall, it depends on your server and it's version. Older versions
>> or FAT file-systems have their inodes "faked". This may be the cause of
>> the problem you're seeing.
>
> Ah, yes, the mounted CIFS share is reported as a FAT file system*. So
> that  may be the problem. I'll try it with a Windows server sharing an NTFS
 > volume and see if I get a different result.
>
> *It's actually a Network Appliance ONtap WAFL QTree, configured to use
 > "UNIX" security model. But ONtap reports "UNIX" QTrees as "FAT" file
> systems to CIFS clients.

That's it I expect.  Going straight to the code, in fhandler_disk_file.cc,
here's some code from fhandler_base::fstat_helper():

   /* Enforce namehash as inode number on untrusted file systems. */
   if (pc.isgood_inode (nFileIndex))
     buf->st_ino = (__ino64_t) nFileIndex;
   else
     buf->st_ino = get_namehash ();

One of the things that isgood_inode() checks for is that it's not a FAT
drive.  In case it is, you end up with a faked hash inode.

Holliston, MA 01746