Issue with GDB under Cygwin and XP

Ray Hurst rhurst2@cox.net
Wed Feb 13 20:28:00 GMT 2008

Marco Atzeri wrote:
> --- Ray Hurst <rhurst2@cox.net> ha scritto:
>
>>> Works fine on my Windows XP Pro machine using the
>> same GDB and gcc
>>> version 3.4.4. What gcc version do you have?
>>>
>>> The stack trace would indicate that the crash is
>> occurring before it
>>> gets to your main function, since that code
>> doesn't have debug symbols
>>> you get addresses.
>>>

>> Jim,
>> It's definitely crashing before getting to main and
>> I don't know why.
>> The tools versions are: gcc 4.2.3, binutils 2.17.50,
>> and gdb 6.5.50.
>>
>> Ray
>
> Hi Ray
> I will bet on Gcc 4.2.3.
>
> there are some reasons why on cygwin gcc 3.4.4
> is still the default version.
>
> Regards
> Marco
>

>       ___________________________________
> L'email della prossima generazione? Puoi averla con la nuova Yahoo! Mail: http://it.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Actually I was incorrect. The dump I gave you was for gcc 3.4.4.

I got it to run under gcc 4.2.3 using Insight.

I modified the program as follows:
/*

  Name        : HelloWorld.c
  Author      : Ray Hurst
  Version     :
  Copyright   : Your copyright notice
  Description : Hello World in C, Ansi-style

  */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void) {
	int a,b,c;
	a = 10;
	b = 20;
	c = 30;
	puts("!!!Hello World!!!"); /* prints !!!Hello World!!! */
	printf("\na = %d,  b = %d,  c = %d\n", a,b,c);
	return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

When I step through the program I cannot get the Local Variables window
to update the variables when I step over the lines setting the variable.

I look at the stack area in memory they definitely are updating.
Ray