"tar --one-file-system" accesses remote file systems

Wed Feb 13 20:41:00 GMT 2008

Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:
>> From: Larry Hall (Cygwin)

>> (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/1998-09/msg00839.html).
>>> Ah, yes, the mounted CIFS share is reported as a FAT file
>>> system*.
>> That's it I expect.  Going straight to the code, in
>> fhandler_disk_file.cc, here's some code from
>> fhandler_base::fstat_helper():
>>
>>    /* Enforce namehash as inode number on untrusted file systems. */
>>    if (pc.isgood_inode (nFileIndex))
>>      buf->st_ino = (__ino64_t) nFileIndex;
>>    else
>>      buf->st_ino = get_namehash ();
>>
>> One of the things that isgood_inode() checks for is that it's
>> not a FAT drive.  In case it is, you end up with a faked hash inode.
>
> Thanks for the diagnosis. I'm curious about something. The message I
> reference above also mentioned an issue with "st_dev". It seems to imply
> that correcting the "st_dev" to use the volume serial number could resolve
> this issue. What is your opinion on that theory?

Given that the message you found refers to code that's a good 10 years
old, I think it's safe to assume that things here have changed. ;-)
And they have.  I found no "42" anywhere in the code that is related
to st_dev.  So that "oddness" is now gone.

Holliston, MA 01746