bash init failing on cygwin terminal launch

Rowe, Thomas rowet@ca.metsci.com
Wed Feb 13 20:44:00 GMT 2008

>> When I launch a cygwin terminal I see this line:
>>        : No such file or directoryand Settings/rowet/.bashrc
>>
>> Then I am dumped into a bash prompt where .bashrc hasn't been read
and I
>> think the normal bash config stuff hasn't finished either.  If I type
>> 'bash[return]' from this screwed-up login everything works fine.
>>
>> Obviously something is tripping up on the space in
%HOME%='C:\Documents
>> and Settings\rowet'.
>

> Maybe so, but you also got a CR lineending in there, which is why the
error
> message wrote over itself in that characteristic way.  You probably
edited
> /etc/profile or one of the other scripts using
notepad/wordpad/similar.

> To figure out exactly where, open a cmd.exe shell, cd into your cygwin
bin
> dir, and run "bash --login -i -x".  You should be able to follow
what's
> getting invoked when that way; then just run d2u on the offending
script.

The tail of `bash --login -i -x` is:
	+ cd '/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/rowet'
	+ case `id -ng` in
	++ id -ng
	' . '/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/rowet/.bashrc
	: No such file or directory and Settings/rowet/.bashrc

I cannot figure out the failing script from this.  The `id -ng` stuff is
from the end of /etc/profile, so I guess /etc/profile gets through OK.
I ran dos2unix against /etc/profile and .bashrc to no effect.