Success in accessing network shares on windows through sshd

Jani Saksa robsku@fiveam.org
Tue Feb 19 20:46:00 GMT 2008

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Currently, the way to get what you want is to ssh in with password
> authentication.  That way, Windows knows who you are and that you are
> allowed access to network shares.  When you ssh in with pubkey
> authentication, you are not authenticated through Windows but
> rather the user running the sshd service.  So you don't have access
> to your mapped network drives (automatically) since Windows doesn't
> recognize you as you.  The fact that you can have a screen session that
> was started locally (as you) on that remote machine and then reconnect to
> that session when you log in with pubkey ssh in no way means that ssh now
> understands you as you.  It just means you've connected up to a local
> instance of screen started by a fully authenticated session.  This is doing
> nothing more than ssh with password authentication but with added user
> hassle, since they need to be co-located with the remote machine so that
> they can start up an authenticated screen session to leverage from their
> ssh (pubkey or not) session.  I don't see that as a better option than just
> sshing in with password authentication and skipping all the extra effort of
> creating a local session of screen first.

Hmm, this sounds weird because I did connect with password
authentication, not with pubkey but was not able to see the one share
that needed authentication to be mapped (but I did see all public shares
- as it should be, right?). I wonder then why did I not see that
non-public share by just logging on ssh with password, huh?

--
Peace & Love,
   Jani a.k.a. Sir Robin * +358 44 927 3992