Possible Bug: Spurious SIGTERM from Cygrunsrv 1.20 on W2K3EE

Greg Gibeling gdgib@berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 19 21:10:00 GMT 2008

Program: cygrunsrv 1.20-1
OS: Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition SP2
Problem: The child process of cygrunsrv (openSSH/sshd in this case) receives
a SIGTERM ~10-30 seconds after cygrunsrv is started.
Steps to reproduce:
	1) Install Cygwin with OpenSSH
	2) Use ssh-host-config to set up sshd to run as a windows service
("/usr/sbin/sshd -D" to be a little more exact).  This happened a long time
ago, I apologize for being inexact.  It seems likely that ANY program being
run under cygrunsrv will exhibit this behavior.
	3) Attempt to start the service (net start, cygrunsrv -S or
services.mmc can be used)
	4) Wait
	5) Watch the service become stopped
Work around: cygrunsrv 1.18 does not exhibit this behavior.

	It's unclear why sshd is receiving SIGTERM (signal 15).  It may be a
spurious SIGTERM from cygrunsrv which causes sshd to exit, which in turn
causes cygrunsrv to exit, or it may be that something external is shutting
down cygrunsrv.  I find the former more likely given the recent enhancements
to cygrunsrv, but I have little proof.
	Switching cygrunsrv to run "/usr/sbin/sshd" without the -D option
will allow the spawned daemon to keep running once cygrunsrv inexplicably
shuts down, but obviously that rather defeats the point of cygrunsrv.
	This bug cropped up because I ran setup.exe and upgraded cygrunsrv
without noticing.  Re-running setup and downgrading to 1.18 fixed the
problem instantly.
	I'm happy to help debug if necessary.

-Greg