Building C++ program with QT under cygwin

Erich Dollansky oceanare@pacific.net.sg
Thu Feb 21 01:51:00 GMT 2008

Hi,

one thing at a time.

hce wrote:

> I am new to cygwin. I've just installed cygwin for building my C++

I see Cygwin as an emulator. Your program will see Linux but not
Windows. But you still can call Windows directly.

> and the C++ program was built using macro #ifdef WIN32 for the code of
> select(), read() and write() system calls. My understand is that I can
> use all linux system calls under cygwin, should I remove all #ifdef
> WIN32 in the program and compile with a parameter -unix rather than
> win32?

Do not delete those things. Never ever even think of deleting them.

> The major issue is the QT package. In linux, I installed a QT package
> for linux and called the QT gmake to generate a Makefile. On window
> the QT was installed for window and compiled under window environment.
> I have got errors when using window QT to generate Makefile under
> cygwin. How should I use the QT under cygwin? Should I download a unix
> version QT and build the QT using unix macro under cygwin, or should I
> still using window QT under cygwin?

You must install QT inside Cygwin if you want to make full use of it.

I have no idea if this will work.

In theory you should be able to use the Windows version. This will make
your program even more weird as it itself will behave like a Linux
program but the libraries are then a mix of Windows and Linux.

Try to stick either with Cygwin or move to Windows.

Erich