Building C++ program with QT under cygwin

Thu Feb 21 04:52:00 GMT 2008

hce wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Erich Dollansky
> <oceanare@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  one thing at a time.
>>

>>  hce wrote:
>>  >
>>  > I am new to cygwin. I've just installed cygwin for building my C++
>>
>>  I see Cygwin as an emulator. Your program will see Linux but not
>>  Windows. But you still can call Windows directly.
>>

>>  > and the C++ program was built using macro #ifdef WIN32 for the code of
>>  > select(), read() and write() system calls. My understand is that I can
>>  > use all linux system calls under cygwin, should I remove all #ifdef
>>  > WIN32 in the program and compile with a parameter -unix rather than
>>  > win32?
>>
>>  Do not delete those things. Never ever even think of deleting them.
>>
>>  > The major issue is the QT package. In linux, I installed a QT package
>>  > for linux and called the QT gmake to generate a Makefile. On window
>>  > the QT was installed for window and compiled under window environment.
>>  > I have got errors when using window QT to generate Makefile under
>>  > cygwin. How should I use the QT under cygwin? Should I download a unix
>>  > version QT and build the QT using unix macro under cygwin, or should I
>>  > still using window QT under cygwin?
>>  >
>>  You must install QT inside Cygwin if you want to make full use of it.
>
> All right, I am going to install the QT inside Cygwin. Now, there are
> two QT packages, one for Window and one for Linux. Should I download
> one for Linux and build it for linux under Cygwin?

If you can live with QT3, just go to kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net and install
the pre-packaged version using 'setup.exe'.

> Should I also to call QT gmake with "-unix -o" to generate Makefile,
> the same parameters I was calling from linux?

If you must go this way then yes, I would recommend trying that.

>>  I have no idea if this will work.
>>
>>  In theory you should be able to use the Windows version. This will make
>>  your program even more weird as it itself will behave like a Linux
>>  program but the libraries are then a mix of Windows and Linux.
>>
>>  Try to stick either with Cygwin or move to Windows.
>
> I have to stick with Cygwin as the Windows does not support select()
> for file system, nor does the minGW. Try to learn Cygwin program
> environment as much as possible :-).

In general, if you work the way that you would work on a Linux system,
then you'll have better luck with Cygwin.

Holliston, MA 01746