cygcheck -f ... misleading as to file ownership & no relative paths

Linda Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sun Feb 24 09:06:00 GMT 2008

"cygcheck -f" doesn't work if you are in a directory and you execute it on
files in the directory (unless you are in "/").  I.e. it doesn't
seem to recognize relative directories.

Another "ick" ... (this isn't about "ssh", I'm just using it as an
example of the problem).

I have an "ssh" directory in "/etc", and two configs in
"/etc", ssh_config, sshd_config.  There are also ssh_config and sshd_config in
/etc/ssh. They are the same files (same len,date,time) as the ones in /etc.

cygcheck -f doesn't ID any of them, but puts its ssh_config and sshd_config
in "/etc/defaults/etc".

I understand why cygcheck doesn't ID the files in "/etc", and "/etc/ssh",
but it's problematic -- since I don't know for certain which files
ssh is compiled to use...  If I had to guess, I'd go for /etc/ssh/...,
but "cygcheck" doesn't even classify that directory as "owned" by
the openssh package.

Falling, perhaps, into the "it would be nice" category, would be the
ability to tell which files go with which packages.  As it is, the
"-f" option isn't real useful in tracking down "junk" (including
things that make no sense:
hosts*  hosts*  hosts.allow*  hosts.deny*  hosts.txt@
> ls -l /etc/h*
-rwxr-x---  1 5043 Feb 18  2007 hosts*
-rwxr-x---  1 5043 Feb 18  2007 hosts*
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1    0 Oct  6  2002 hosts.allow*
-rwxr-xr-x+ 1    0 Oct  6  2002 hosts.deny*
lrwxrwxrwx  1    5 Jul 13  2006 hosts.txt -> hosts*
-----
	Two executable "hosts" files?  I ran across this
with another file and one was a .lnk file.  But for whatever
reason, it doesn't show up with a "@".  When I deleted the .lnk
file (under cmd.exe), I couldn't recreate the effect, since
"ln -s file file", fails with an "already exists" error message.

I have 112 files & dirs in "/etc", but no way to tell if they go
with some package or are fragments of something that didn't install
or uninstall correctly (well I can tell for many, but not all).

None of these things being "big deals", but it does hinder my ability
to decruft...(but it is on an Windows machine, so what should
I expect? :-))

Linda