[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: ddrescue-1.8-1
Tue Feb 26 20:10:00 GMT 2008
Version 1.8-1 of ddrescue has been uploaded.
Description from README:
GNU ddrescue is a data recovery tool. It copies data from one file or
block device (hard disc, cdrom, etc) to another, trying hard to rescue
data in case of read errors.
The basic operation of ddrescue is fully automatic. That is, you don't
have to wait for an error, stop the program, read the log, run it in
reverse mode, etc.
If you use the logfile feature of ddrescue, the data is rescued very
efficiently, (only the needed blocks are read). Also you can interrupt
the rescue at any time and resume it later at the same point.
Ddrescue is also able to selectively overwrite parts of the output file,
which has a number of interesting uses like wiping data, marking bad
areas or even, in some cases, "repair" damaged sectors.
* The new option "--generate-logfile" has been added.
* The new option "--synchronous" has been added.
* Fill mode now works when outfile offset differs from 0.
* The chapter "Fill Mode" of the manual has been updated.
Changes in version 1.7:
* This version skips very fast over damaged areas.
* This version maintains the logfile minimized at all times, improving
* The error count now shows the number of error areas found,
irrespective of their sizes.
* When splitting, this version jumps to the next non-split area after
two consecutive errors have been encountered in the current one.
* The new option "--retrim" has been added.
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and keep clicking "Next".
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, please
use the automated form at:
If this does not work, then look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the
email header of this message. Send email to the address specified
there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
More information about the Cygwin