Problem with dev nodes in tar extract

Nigel Hathaway Nigel.Hathaway@ubiquisys.com
Fri Feb 29 13:14:00 GMT 2008

I have created a gzipped compressed tar archive on Linux of an embedded
Linux file system. It was compressed under Linux using fakeroot (so that
everything is owned as root and dev nodes work). When I untar it under
cygwin (tar-1.19-1: 1.19.90-1 hasn't made it out to the mirrors yet), it
crashes part way through untarring the dev nodes - after about 64 dev
nodes in fact. The dev nodes up to there untar correctly, with the
correct permissions, major/minor numbers etc. There is nothing special
about the dev node it falls over on - several others which differ only
in major/minor number have successfully been untarred. It also untars
under Linux OK (v1.18, on Centos 5) - under fakeroot (I don't have root
access on the Linux machine).

There error message I get is:

171 [main] tar 7900 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while dumping
state (probably corrupted stack)

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Any ideas?

[I'm doing this to serve up the file system over NFS]