Observation: setting HOME to "/" can lead to slow cygwin

George Wyner gwyner@computer.org
Tue Jan 8 02:05:00 GMT 2008

I am running Cygwin 1.5.25 on Windows XP Professional (Ver 5.1 Build
2600 Service Pack 2)

No longer sure why, but at some point I set my HOME directory to C:\cygwin

Running cygwin on my machine was quite slow, especially when starting
bash and running man and info (2-5 seconds for each).  I also noticed
that nano complained it could not find the file "//.nanorc"

I changed the home directory in my passwd file to /home/gwyner at
which point the slowdown vanished:  bash, man, and info are now
fast.  the nano error also went away.

End of observation.

Start of uninformed speculation:

I suspect that this is a variation on the network share cause of
slowdown reported in the FAQ
(http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.slow) -- I suspect
that because HOME was set to "/" that directory references beginning
with the prefix $HOME/ would resolve to // and therefore be
interpreted as a network share.

It may be that "//" showed up somewhere in my environment and I did
not see it (although I looked) but if that is not so then it might be
worth flagging the above configuration as another potential source of
problems.  (Perhaps more likely with windozy users like me who may
not have the right intuitions or knowledge about where to put the
home directory.)

--George Wyner