How to use encrypted folder (or filesystem)

CABROL PERALES Alexandre alexandre.cabrol-perales@adssi.fr
Thu Jan 10 19:24:00 GMT 2008

Brian Mathis a écrit :
> On Jan 9, 2008 10:11 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
> <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> CABROL PERALES Alexandre wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> i'm using Cygwin Easy version on an usb disk.
>> This is really a question that is more appropriately directed towards the
>> maintainers of "Cygwin Easy", since that's a separate project and anything
>> we might say here may not be appropriate for "Cygwin Easy".   That said...
>>
>>> I would like to kow if we can use encrypted FileSystem or folder with
>>> cygwin.
>>>
>>> e.g.:
>>> mount -t vfat info.img info/ -oencrypted=aes128
>>>
>>> or another way.
>> Cygwin is not Linux (or Unix or BSD or....)  It has no file-system drivers
>> and relies on Windows to provide file access.  Translation - you cannot
>> mount a file system with Cygwin like you show above.  Cygwin's mount is
>> not too much more than a mapping of Windows-style paths to POSIX ones.
>>
>>> Purpose:
>>> be able to use mobile cygwin with an encrypted device (partition,
>>> folder, fs image) without have to alter hoster system (no modifications
>>> on the operating system, even on c: drive).
>>>
>>> Do you have any idea?
>> In general, if you can do it with Windows, you should be able to do it
>> with Cygwin and that may translate into being able to do it with "Cygwin
>> Easy".  But to do it with Windows means you need an NTFS file system on
>> your USB disk.  If that's a problem for you, then I believe you have
>> provided the answer to yourself. ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
>> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
>> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>> Holliston, MA 01746
>

> Though not part of cygwin, truecrypt is an excellent and open source
> utility that will allow you to make and encrypted disk.  Then you can
> install whatever you like on it.
>
> http://www.truecrypt.org/
>
> --

I tryed TrueCrypt but Security Policy on my professional laptop forbid
use of it own driver.

I tryed too Cross Crypt but the problem is the  fact that this tool need
to modify register.

Any other idea?

Thanks for your help.
--