rm fails with bad mount information

Greg Chicares gchicares@sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 17 20:15:00 GMT 2008

On 2008-01-17 18:49Z, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On Jan 17 10:39, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>>
>>> Users who install Cygwin then uninstall it (perhaps improperly, I'm not
>>> sure) can be left with the registry key
>>>
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
>>>
>>> set with a non-existent path as the "native" string value (which is
>>> normally be something like "c:\\cygwin").  When that happens, "rm -rf
>>> subdir" fails with this message:

Does it work okay, with your customized Cygwin distro, if they
remove that registry key? If so, then an easy resolution might
be to advise your users who uninstall Cygwin to follow step 6
of FAQ 2.17:

http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all

to remove the keys, even if in other use-cases that step may
seem unnecessary.