cygwin file permissions problem & solution

Dave Burns tburns@hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 23 10:08:00 GMT 2008

I open the cygwin bash shell. I right click on the bar and select
properties. I check QuickEdit mode's checkbox and click 'ok'. An error
window pops up with title: 'Error updating shortcut':

"Unable to modify the shortcut: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Cygwin\Cygwin Bash Shell.lnk. Check to make sure it has
not been deleted or renamed."

file's there, just has wrong access permissions for some reason. I had
to remember/figure out two things about vista, how to edit permissions
and how to make hidden folders appear. I'm going to tell you the long
version.

start menu/help and support
search for 'hidden', select 'show hidden files'
click on "Click to open Folder Options." (that's why I have to start
with help - I don't remember how to get here)
click view tab
click radio button "show hidden files and folder"
click ok
Now you should be able to navigate to the file and right click it,
select properties
security tab
edit
you should be able to figure it out from here. I went for 'full
control!' That's the way Bill likes it.
Yow.
I'm sending this on the off chance it will help someone. I googled
that error message and came up dry. I was shocked!

Your search - "ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Cygwin\Cygwin" - did not match any documents.
"Check to make sure it has not been deleted or renamed." matched one
about XP in one of those obnoxious 'we might help you if you pay us'
web sites.