HowTo setup cygwin + sshd using hosts.allow and hosts.deny and use detailed logging

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Sun Jan 27 13:08:00 GMT 2008

Martin wrote:

> After googeling a while i´m giving up.
> Can someone please give me a small HowTo
> I installed the most recent version of the cygwin distri.
> ( Full blown install)
> I can do successfully a ssh to my host.
> I have done some customizing to have sshd logging to /var/log/sshd.log.
> Solved by installing the sshd by this command:
> cygrunsrv -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd" -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a '-D -e'
>
> I´m not really happy of the log output cause I only see the hostname , IP
> and  the used username, but no timestamp.

You went the wrong way in your configuration, or at least the hard way.

Usually you don't need '-e', you just configure syslog.  Really easy,
with syslog (part of the inetutils package) is a one liner:

auth.*		/var/log/sshd.log

With syslog-ng you have more control but the configuration is longer.

[snip]
> Can some post a decent and small HowTo?

Install the service following /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README;
install syslog or syslog-ng, and configure it to use the file you want
and (in syslog-ng case) the format you want.
--
René Berber