filenames containing ::, rsync and "file has vanished", ext2fsd being used

Thu Jul 3 18:08:00 GMT 2008

reikred@gmail.com wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> reikred@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I have a weird problem that I cannot quite wrap my head around.
>>>
>>> I'm in cygwin trying to rsync from /e/ to /f/,  using
>>>
>>> rsync -Dogx -uav --delete /e/ /f/
>>>
>>> I get a LOT of error messages of the type
>>>
>>> file has vanished: "/e/usr/share/man/man3/Glib::Error.3pm.gz"
>>> file has vanished: "/e/usr/share/man/man3/Gtk2::CodeGen.3pm.gz"
>>> file has vanished: "/e/usr/share/man/man3/Gtk2::Entry.3pm.gz"

<snip>

>>> Does anyone want to suggest a way to get around this? I think since
>>> ls exhibits the same problem it should not be rsync's fault, but it
>>> may possibly relate to ext2fsd rather than cygwin.
>>
>> You're certainly adding some interesting variables with ext2fsd involved,
>> particularly when it comes to permissions.  But in this case, ':' is a
>> special character in Windows so you're going to see trouble regardless
>> of your underlying file-system and driver.  The moral of the story is
>> don't try to do things on Windows that it's not good at. ;-)
>>

> Some more information: If I look at /e/usr/share/man/man3/ with Windows
> XP (File) Explorer, the :: files are in fact visible, but I cannot
> operate on them (for example, copy and paste) without getting error
> messages. So Ext2fsd is serving up the files, but some other part of the
> system is balking at the names.
>
> I guess /bin/ls is similar in the sense that it "sees" the file, but
> when it tries to list the name, it runs into some restriction.
>
> I wish there was a way to disable the restriction, maybe even just
> temporarily or on a per-program basis...

That would be a Windows issue.  I don't know of any utility to make
this easier for you, though I wouldn't rule out that one exists.
You may find something on Windows forums.

Holliston, MA 01746