Updating cygwin from a remote shell?
G.W. Haywood
ged@jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 10:14:00 GMT 2008
Hi there,
Thanks, all, for the responses.
On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> > rdesktop to connect to their Windows 2000 server and I'm not _very_
> > careful how I close down the rdesktop session then the server crashes.
>
> I've never seen this happen at all. By definition, any user application
> able to crash a system is a bug. You got a bug there. It should be fixed.
Agreed. :)
> > If there are any tips for a safer way of connecting to a Windows 2000
> > server to do routine upgrades of Cygwin and other remote admin that I
> > can't do using ssh, I'd be very happy to hear them.
>
> You could try VNC.
Thanks, I'll give it a try
> [...] RDP is nicer and much faster then VNC. VNC, however, works [...]
I'll be happy if it just does that. :)
> Then again, rdesktop crashing a server is odd. Is it actually
> dumping core?
Yes. But I don't want to hijack this thread by going on to debug that
particular problem. :) Actually I'm not sure that it's rdesktop itself
that's causing the crash. It will crash if I do other things remotely
using rdesktop, such as paging rapidly through the system log using the
log viewer from 'administrative tools'. It isn't something that I can
easily investigate, largely because I'd be lynched by an angry mob from
the welding shop. FWIW I've never caused a crash using Cygwin+ssh, and
that's how I try to do most of what I need to do.
--
73,
Ged.
--
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list