packages

Tue Jul 22 22:29:00 GMT 2008

Lee D. Rothstein wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>
>  > On 2008-07-18, r wrote:
>
>  >> I'm new about cygwin, but I use from a lot SuSE and OpenSuSE
>  >> can I install packages rpm from linux distributions on cygwin ?
>

>  > No. First off, Cygwin doesn't use Red Hat's package manager, it
>  > uses its own package manager, setup.exe.  Secondly, binaries built
>  > for Linux will not run under Cygwin--the binary interfaces to the
>  > operating system are totally different.
>
> Er, what's the purpose, then, of 'rpm.exe' that can be installed
> with 'setup.exe'?

Installing RPM source.  Installing RPMs targeted for Windows or
Cygwin, if someone has made some.

> If "you" had a Cygwin-related/-dependent package, that
> "you" wished to distribute to a group of users (say, >> 25),
>
> What utility would you use to install this package?

Since you would require Cygwin, I would recommend packaging it to
install with 'setup.exe'.  That would make it easier for the users,
since they are going to need Cygwin anyway.  It would be a 1-stop
install process.

> The package would consist mostly of scripts -- bash, gawk, perl;
> quite a few soft links, and some man pages, some documentation in
> HTML format.
>
> Would you use?:
>
> * Make?
> * Custom perl script?