Mapping of Windows Domains?

Dave Korn dave.korn@artimi.com
Wed Jul 23 16:20:00 GMT 2008

Ken Turner wrote on 23 July 2008 16:46:

> It turns out that these files are being served up with a fake domain name
> "D1" (because our Unix server isn't part of a Windows domain). When I log
> in I am authenticated against a real domain "D2". As a result, "D2\kjt"
> cannot access files whose permissions are set for "D1\kjt". There doesn't
> seem to be any way of influencing the choice of fake domain name "D1", so
> I need a client-side solution.
>
> Is there any way to get CygWin or Windows to map domains (e.g. to treat
> "D1" as equivalent to "D2")? Thanks!

  Think about what you're asking for.

  You want to change something at the client end, so that, without doing
anything at the server end, somebody who isn't a member of a domain could
get access to files as if they were a domain member.

  If you could pretend to be a user in a domain you're not a member of, why
not go the whole hippo and ask to be root in the domain you're not a member
of (by making yourself root of your own domain that you can control)?

  If anything remotely like that was even possible, security would simply
not exist, wouldn't it?  You'd basically be letting anyone anywhere on the
internet have full and free access to any file on any server anywhere in the
worlds without having permissions or passwords.

  So, no, you can't do it.  And if you could, you'd be horrified to realise
that everyone else in the world (D4\kjt, D5\kjt, .... Danything\kjt) could
get their hands on your files just by changing their username to kjt.

    cheers,
      DaveK