Problems with file permissions and cp when running on Vista

Tom Quarendon tom.quarendon@teamwpc.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 07:22:00 GMT 2008

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> I'd start at the source.  Give yourself POSIX-style access to the files
> to start with.  'cp' will preserve that access.  'cp' and many other
> utilities don't take ACL permissions into account.  They are silently
> ignored.  For whatever reason, it looks like your source file has no
> POSIX permissions for user, group, and other.  Fix that with 'chmod'
> and I think you'll have solved your problem.

I suppose that I'm suprised and disappointed that I can't just use cp to
copy arbitrary files around without first having to lay groundwork in
order for things to work properly.
We use cygwin cp as part of our build process and it complicates matters
if can't just check a source tree out and have cp work properly on the
result.