Problems with file permissions and cp when running on Vista

Tom Quarendon tom.quarendon@teamwpc.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 11:12:00 GMT 2008

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> I'd start at the source.  Give yourself POSIX-style access to the files
> to start with.  'cp' will preserve that access.  'cp' and many other
> utilities don't take ACL permissions into account.  They are silently
> ignored.  For whatever reason, it looks like your source file has no
> POSIX permissions for user, group, and other.  Fix that with 'chmod'
> and I think you'll have solved your problem.

I struggle to give myself posix style permissions.
I have a file README.txt in the root of my build source tree:
$ getfacl README.txt
# file: README.txt
# owner: Tom
# group: None
user::---
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:---

If I then do chmod --
$ chmod 755 README.txt
chmod: changing permissions of `README.txt': Permission denied

I can't modify the file with VI, but I can CAT it, so cygwin thinks I've
got read access to the file somehow. Copy the file and I get no
permissions at all.

I do have write access to the file though as far as windows is
concerned. If I look at the security properties of the file from Windows
Explorer it looks as though I'm getting write permission on the file
because I'm a member of "Authenticated Users" and that has write access.
"Authenticated Users" doesn't appear in the output from getfacl. Maybe
that's my issue.

So I'm not sure how I set myself up with correct posix permissions on
this file so that CP will work.