bash term with multiple tabs - bash (without X)

Brian Mathis brian.mathis@gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:04:00 GMT 2008

Cygwin now has the 'screen' command available.  Once you install it,
you will have the ability to run multiple terminal sessions inside 1
window.  I would also suggest using rxvt instead of the default
cmd.exe shell (rxvt does not require X).  If you put the following
code in your .screenrc or /etc/screenrc file, you will get a nice bar
on the bottom that acts sort of like tabs:

    # Change scrollback to 2000 lines
    defscrollback 2000

    # status line at the bottom
    hardstatus on
    hardstatus alwayslastline
    hardstatus string "%{.bW}%-w%{.rW}%f%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{..G}[%H %l]

It's not 'true' tabs, but once you know screen, you will be using it
all the time on remote connections as well.