Download Cygwin once and intall it several times

Ralph Hempel rhempel@bmts.com
Mon Jul 28 21:42:00 GMT 2008

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> For the time being, you should be able to dump the mount table to a .bat
> file with "mount -m" and then run the .bat on the system that has the
> copied installation.
>
> This technique probably won't work in Cygwin 1.7.x when it is released,
> though.

Funny enough, this is the kind of problem that is solved by being able
to run the Cygwin setup from the command line.

On my own system, I keep a downloaded repository in a special folder
that is shared read-only with other computers on the network.

When I want to roll out my standard Cygwin install on other machines,
which may be vmWare machines or other developer's machines, I just
give them my specially patched setup.exe that accepts package names
and a batch file that runs setup and requests the packages needed for
a clean install plus a few extra packages.

Run the batch file, and presto, each developer has the same basic set of
packages without monkeying around with the GUI.

Cheers, Ralph