bash shells not terminating

Tim Cook tim@palare.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 07:37:00 GMT 2008

Most of our users login remotely to Cygwin and I've noticed that if
they don't logout correctly (if their connection is terminated
unexpectedly) then the bash shell process is still there. Over a
period of time these processes build up. I've written a script to
detect and kill them but I was wondering if there was a better way. I
understand that bash background processes do not automatically
terminate when you logout. I've tried to recreate the problem on
Solaris but no matter what I do to kill the connection, my login shell
always seems to get terminated. I

I've had a trawl through the archives and can't find any mention of
this so maybe its not a problem for other users. Or is is at the
discretion of a given o/s how to handle orphan processes? I could
switch to using another login shell to avoid the problem but was
wondering if this is a known problem and if there are any other
workarounds for it?

Thanks.

Tim