'pgrep' segment faulting & stack dumping

Lee D. Rothstein lee@veritech.com
Sat Jun 7 21:52:00 GMT 2008

I'm getting stack dumps and segmentation faults from 'pgrep'.

As far as I remember I have not installed anything on my system,
including Cygwin, to the point where this started.

However:

 * Windows Vista Update did do at least one update
 * HP update may also have done an update.
 * Symantec Norton 360 probably did some kind of update.

Just before running the attached 'cygcheck -svr', I updated the
entire setup plus reinstalling the 'procps' package that contains
'pgrep'.

The symptoms vary slightly at different times that I invoke
'pgrep'. Sometimes, I quickly get a message "segmentation fault",
and then a prompt back.  At other times, 'pgrep' seems to hang
for several minutes before announcing: "Aborted" (without any
intervention from me) and then returning the prompt. In both
cases, 'pgrep' generates: 'pgrep.exe.stackdump' (attached).

BTB, I have a 'pgrep' command as part of my profile, to determine
if the 'ssh' tunnel is running to the Linux-based mail server,
and I've had no problems with that for at least the last several
months.

Also note: 'ps' works like a charm! (Therefore until this is
           resolved I can write a script 'pgrep' that uses ps and
           'grep'.) Strange?

Thanks,

Lee

Lee D. Rothstein