cygwin 1.7 problems: network, path, file system

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Jun 18 10:30:00 GMT 2008

Hello, I had a number of problems with cygwin 1.7:

----------------------
Network problems

No /etc/fstab - this has been discussed in other mails, but I am mentioning it
as I am having other network problems too:

I cannot copy to a Hummingbird-nfs-mounted device anymore.
This is when mounting with nfs link X: ...; file browsing and opening works,
just not create/copy.
With Windows mount (net use X: ...) everything works (but I don't like that
mount because it works with fixed file permissions only).

rlogin does not work anymore; it just hangs.

----------------------
Path problems

rsh does not work anymore:
	- complains about missing /usr/bin/rlogin (which has moved to /bin)

man does not work anymore:
sh: /usr/bin/tbl: No such file or directory
sh: /usr/bin/nroff: No such file or directory
(I wonder why man tries to invoke these using absolute pathnames...)

File system problem (weird)

I had a shell script "x." which mysteriously was renamed to "x" after the update.
I could rename it back to "x.", though.
After I reverted to cygwin 1.5 (for network problems described above),
the file is not available anymore; it appears in ls -l as follows:
and is not accessible by either "x." or "x" from either cygwin or Windows.
(Since I cannot create another "y." now, I am not sure how I originally created the "x." file,
but it had been there and I regularly called it as "x." on the command line.)