Error starting sshd: "Win32 error 1069"

Schutter, Thomas A. tschutter@proxix.com
Mon Jun 23 20:50:00 GMT 2008

Now
> I get:
>
> $ cygrunsrv.exe -S sshd
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069:
> The service did not start due to a logon failure.
>
> Permissions on /var/emtpy look correct, it's owned by "sshd_server",
> group "Administrators".  The system is a member of an AD domain; the
> "sshd_server" account is part of the domain.
>
> cygcheck's output is attached.  What can I do to troubleshoot the
> problem further?

Did also you check the permissions and ownership of /etc/ssh*,
/var/log/lastlog, and /var/log/sshd.log?

It may be instructive to run this command to see what rights the
sshd_server has:
  editrights -l -u sshd_server

Once you get this fixed, you may have sporadic problems starting sshd
when rebooting.  To fix them, make sure that the Netlogon service has
started before starting the sshd service. Edit the registry and add
Netlogon to the DependOnService value in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sshd key.  In
short, you are ensuring that the system can talk to the domain
controller before it tries to start sshd.

--
Tom Schutter
First American - Proxix Solutions