Fwd: md5sum using Cygwin in Windows

Fri Jun 27 22:47:00 GMT 2008

Ben wrote:
> "The project is geared towards people who understand a UNIX(tm)
> environment.  If that isn't you, then it's hard to see why you're
> dabbling with Ubuntu."
>
> If I don't understand UNIX, then it's hard to see why I'm dabbling
> with Ubuntu? Is that a mistype? Did you mean to say that it's easy to
> see why I'm dabbling with Ubuntu, as it is generally thought to be a
> newbie-friendly distro? Is there a more approachable way to understand
> UNIX?
>
> It's no wonder that Linux has roughly 1% desktop market share with
> that sort of attitude. Unfortunately, Ubuntu doesn't even display
> right on my laptop, so it'll be a while yet before I do understand
> Linux.
>
> - B
>
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Christopher Faylor
> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 02:42:49PM -0700, Ben wrote:
>>
>>> Removed my HTML to send this off...
>>>
>> It is not important for anyone to know this.
>>

>>> The Ubuntu help says that if you download Cygwin (link:
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM), you can follow the
>>> Linux directions. I'm using the Cygwin shell and it is not working. I
>>> downloaded the file to C. I type:
>>>
>>> cd C:\
>>>
>>> So far, so good. The (zippied) file ubutuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso is
>>> sitting in C:\. So I type:
>>>
>>> md5sum ubutuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso
>>>
>>> "No such file or directory."
>>>
>>> Ah well. Cygwin does not seem to be a very newbie-friendly
>>> application. "Help cd" offers one a starkly technical little
>>> paragraph. Incidentally, how does one even go to the Desktop directory
>>> (which lies at C:\Documents and Settings\Ben\Desktop for me) with
>>> Cygwin? Whenever you put in a space, Cygwin seems to reject it.
>>>
>> Hmm.  Just got a similar question on irc a while ago.
>>
>> Cygwin doesn't use : or \.  Use:
>>
>> cd "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Ben/Desktop"
>>
>> And, btw, your "newbie-friendly" comment shows that you apparently have
>> no idea what Cygwin is and possibly have no idea what Linux is all
>> about.  The project is geared towards people who understand a UNIX(tm)
>> environment.  If that isn't you, then it's hard to see why you're
>> dabbling with Ubuntu.
>>
>> cgf
>>

> --

Well, if you use linux system in a MS windows style where clicking
buttons can almost solve everything,
then you may waste of your valuable times and totally loss your
confidence on Linux.  You need to
read a book and just learn it, like what you do in other computer
lessons.  Linux expects you as a master
and this assumption may be harmful to newbies. Fortunately, after a
shape learning line, you can control
your linux system to do lots of things windows can't do.
Yours
Zheng