Bash Crashes

René Berber r.berber@computer.org
Fri Mar 7 22:43:00 GMT 2008

Scott Webster Wood wrote:

> I saw the following posting after experiencing a similar problem.
> One of the follow ups suggested running cygwin.bat and reporting the
> result, but the result is the same whether I try to run cygwin.bat,
> call bash directly from a cmd.exe shell or call bash from something
> like /bin/sh or /bin/tcsh:
>
> [swood@arena ~]$ pwd
 > /home/swood
 > [swood@arena ~]$ /bin/bash
 > bash-3.2$
> [swood@arena ~]$

First point: that is not a crash.  A crash shown you a message and
creates a .stackdump file.

Second point: have you tried other options for calling bash?  Like for
instance:

   bash --login -i

   bash --noprofile --norc

   bash --debug

> Here's the cute thing.  If I create a test script with #!/bin/bash at
> the beginning and throw in something like a simple 'echo' command,
> the script works just fine calling it by name or calling it with
> /bin/bash:
 > [swood@arena ~]$ cat test.sh
 > #!/bin/bash echo this is a test
 > [swood@arena ~]$ /bin/bash test.sh
 > this is a test
 > [swood@arena ~]$ ./test.sh
 > this is a test

That shows that bash is OK, your problem is something else in your user
configuration (another test, run bash as a different user).  There's
something wrong with one of .bashrc, .bash_profile, .profile, or the
global ones... and is something you (or somebody with access to your
computer) put there.
--
René Berber